Participants Wanted: A Study of End-of-Life Care and Cultures of Commemoration during the HIV and AIDS Epidemic (1980s-1990s)

• Kia ora all,

Thanks to the admins for suggesting I post this here.

My name is Chloe Coombe and I am a PhD candidate in history at Ōtākou Whakaihu Waka, University of Otago. I am currently conducting research that explores the provision of support to and commemoration of those affected by the HIV and AIDS epidemic during the 1980s and 1990s. I am looking for people who would be interested in being interviewed for my research. I've popped my advertisement below - please feel free to contact me via email (bowch382@student.otago.ac.nz) or ask questions on this thread.

Ngā mihi nui,

Chloe

A Study of End-of-Life Care and Cultures of Commemoration during the HIV and AIDS Epidemic (1980s–1990s)

This project is a research investigation that aims to explore the provision of support to and commemoration of those who were impacted by the HIV and AIDS epidemic in the 1980s and 1990s.

The two key research questions are: how were end-of-life concerns understood and navigated by those who lived with HIV and AIDS and by those who cared for them? And, how did the commemoration of the HIV and AIDS epidemic develop and evolve, and what does this reveal about the cultural context of collective grief and mourning?

My research aims to investigate the nature and extent of the care and support provided to HIV and AIDS patients, focusing on how well the healthcare system addressed the specific end-of-life needs. In light of commemoration, I will be exploring the New Zealand AIDS Memorial Quilt, the Book of Remembrance held at St. Matthews in the City, and candlelight memorial ceremonies. Participants must have been actively involved in giving or receiving end-of-life care, or, organising or attending commemorative practices during the HIV and AIDS epidemic during the 1980s and 1990s.

Experience with the epidemic as either a patient, lover, family member, friend, caregiver, counsellor, religious leader, or involvement in commemoration is required for personal interviews. Individuals must be 18 years or older.

The interview will last between 60 to 90 minutes. There will be the opportunity to take breaks as required. You may need to allocate additional time for scheduling and preparation.

Contact Details: Chloe Coombe, email: bowch382@student.otago.ac.nz

This project has been reviewed and approved by the University of Otago Human Ethics Committee, Ōtākou Whakaihu Waka. Reference: 24/0293

Markdown is supported